Friday, March 18, 2011

Indie Designer Day

Under Wraps Cardigan - on blogDesigner: Melinda VerMeer
Blog: melindavermeer.com
Etsy Shop: Painted Toes
Rav ID: gldelx
Some Great Designs: gldelx's Rav Designer Page

I really hope that many of you have already come across gldelx's designs; they all have such great and interesting construction, and are each and all very pretty! She's got a fantastic eye for design; she co-manages a LYS in Portland, Happy Knits, and has architecture design in her professional background (not surprising, I'm sure, once you see the structure she employs in her knits!)

This Indie Designer Profile will be a bit different from usual: I'll point out a few of her pieces, but I have some cool info about the designer herself to share as well!

Here pictured you see her latest design, Under Wraps Cardigan. This piece is versatile. I love the way the model is wearing it, but you can also drape it over your shoulder for a more "wrap" look. Check out the pattern page. Believe it or not, this pattern is only $1.99! How beautiful is it! This is something I could see myself wearing through and through.

Another great knit is her wrap, Nautilina. I love the wavy lines of lace running across this piece.

I usually approach the designers far in advance of publication, and since I first contacted gldelx, she's published the above patterns. I was so happy to see all the great creativity! My original idea was to feature her very cool Chalet Brioche Cowl. Check out that texture!

For some colourwork, have a peek at her Flux Cap, and see Auld Lang Syne Cape for a cute wee free pattern.

Get some more details and links here, at her Knit Picks Designer Page.

And now, for more about this talented designer!

Favourite yarns: "Most all Madelinetosh I’ve encountered - particularly the lighter weight bases like Tosh Merino Light, Pashmina, Tosh Merino DK. Malabrigo Lace, Sock, Silky Merino, Rios and Worsted also are fantastic to work with."

Some favourite designers: "Cat Bordhi is simply amazing with the way she puts things together, Stephen West does a great job of creating really interesting uni-sex designs, I love what Susanna IC has done in creating crescent shaped shawls."

Projects I like to knit: "Sweaters, shawls, hats & occasionally socks (with a readily available supply of sweater quantity yarn now, my sock knitting has vastly decreased)."

Projects I like to design: "Items I think appeal to many people both to knit and wear. Garments that offer sizing options to work with many body shapes/sizes and often include shortrows to add shaping & options for different body shapes to choose from."

Future plans: "In 2011 I plan to add additional lace projects, a felted project, maybe a sock design and possibly a mens garment or two to my design library."

1 comment:

Julie said...

what a fantastic wrap cardi!!