Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Capsule Wardrobe: Garment 5

I've completed the fifth garment in my spring/summer capsule wardrobe! It's not my favourite. Read on.

Pattern Description:
Simplicity 1158 dress
Junior Misses' and Misses' One-Piece Dress: "Simple To Make" dress is sleeveless and features a low, rounded neckline. It may be worn as a casual or party fashion depending upon choice of fabric. The full skirt may be gathered or softly pleated. Ball fringe trims view 1. View 2 neck and sleeve edges are bound with bias.

AND

Flora
Fundamentally feminine and universally flattering with her cinched waist and voluminous pleated straight or dipped hem circle skirt, Flora is the definitive party dress. Choose from two entirely different bodice variations: a classic sleeveless faux-wrap style or the more demure tank bodice, with her high square neckline and simple shoulder straps.


Fabric Used:
100% cotton

Notions:
zipper

Size Sewn:
Simplicity bodice size 15
Flora skirt size 6 US

Modification Advice/Errors in Pattern:
None.

Alterations Done:
I've sewn both parts of these dresses before; decided to add a bit of oomph by using the skirt from my Flora pattern.

Would I Sew Again?:
Maybe. I wasn't as careful as I should have been, and while I can see that it's entirely possible for these two separate pieces could fit together well, I didn't try quite hard enough to make them work. With the end result that this isn't my best technical work. The zipper isn't sewn in great, I was frustrated and ripped a bit of the fabric with my seam ripper, the waistline isn't entirely even...
Added to that: the bodice seems a bit large. I had sewn this bodice before, and that dress fits really well. But, what I forgotten was that I had significantly taken in THAT bodice. With the end result that this one is a bit roomy.

My Favourite Things About it:
My high levels of neon sunshine in this fabric. That and I will NEVER tire of how fantastic the dipped hem skirt from Flora is.

My Least Favourite Things About it:
My own impatience, and stupid lazy mistakes.

1 comment:

Elena Knits said...

Sewing is a process that takes time. I realize that when I rush at sewing a garment I don't love the end result, but taking time to carefully make something even if it's not very loved, often transforms it into something that I really like.

I started a dress at the beginning of the month and I still foresee one more week to finish it :(