Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Birds, Birds Everywhere!

This weekend saw me start my great ambitions of learning to be a birder. I went out with a friend and a small group (all of whom seemed to really know what they were doing! Methinks I need a good pair of binoculars).

It seems that birds get up awfully early, because, as you can see in the photo below, I had myself out of bed and in my car far before I normally would!

Photobucket

Photobucket
The pretty scene of the sun over the marsh.
Our bird walk took us across marshland, along streams and through small woods and valleys.

Photobucket
Here's a mama Canada Goose on her nest.

Photobucket
A Mute Swan, who decided to paddle right beneath us all.

Photobucket
Though it may not be terribly easy to see, here's a Blue Jays on its nest.

Photobucket
A White-Breasted Nuthatch - a new spotting for me!

Photobucket
And, in another new spotting, a Yellow Warbler, in the middle of flitting from one tree-top branch to another.

Photobucket
And the ubiquitous, friendly and curious Black-Capped Chickadee. I had a couple of these tiny sweeties hop right onto my hand! They're so used to people coming by to feed them, that an outstretched hand is all that's needed to tempt them over.

I'm really looking forward to getting out there and spotting some more - I hear the Orioles should have migrated up here by next week!

No comments: