Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I Love FOs: Milk Maiden

I love checking in on Ravelry to see the FOs people have made from my designs.

Milk Maiden is a pattern that was published in 2010 in Brave New Knits; so doing this little profile post feels like a sweet little walk down memory lane for me!


rockabillydoll is the first of a few knitters who've been quite keen on a red Milk Maiden.
It's a bit hard to tell from the photo, but I think she's tucked it into her skirt(?), which I think gives it a nice, streamlined, lady-like, and slightly fancier look.


StarFruitKnits looks so happy! I really dig it when people look so happy in FO shots :) Again, another great red Milk Maiden. I also like to note what people like to layer with it. I did have layering in mind when I designed it; it is, after all, based on a 17th century print, with 17th century fashion sensibilities that included square, low necklines and blousey layers beneath.

Though, as I mentioned above, I was inspired by a layered top, Milk Maiden can most certainly be worn without a lower layer of shirt or camisole visible. LisaKereliuk (who is also a great designer!) has made a few mods, including omitting the leaf neckline, adding a pretty picot trim to the bottom edge, and a cute cable on the front ribbing.
Also, check out her project page for more image of it with various layers.


© Minabear

Minabear has worked hers with a few modifications for an ideal fit, including set-in sleeves and adding to the front ribbing. Again, a very nice red Milk Maiden (madtosh Tart!), and no leaf lace neckline detail.





tharensolo's is a beautiful green! Red does seem to be one of the most popular colours to knit Milk Maiden in, but I'm quite keen on the green too! (and what a great photo!) Very useful to demonstrate how this top can be a dressier or more casual, every day sweater, just depending on how you work it in your outfit.
 
madhamster has styled her Milk Maiden so wonderfully! Check out her blog here. It'll explain her great sense of style :)
It's amazing how something as simple as the right choice of belt and necklace can really make a piece fill with personality.

© brendajosephson

brendajosephson has made a few great mods I'd like to point out: she changed the hem to a turned one, added short rows across the front ribbing, and made the ribbing in twisted stitches. I love twisted stitches. Great mods!


jennaladue
Sparkly blue Milk Maiden? Yes please! This yarn is so cool, I love the choice of colour and the sparkly!


JessicaK
I love to see the same project worked in a variety of different colours. This pink is such a great one! This is again another example of how pairing Milk Maiden with different pieces makes for a dressier or more casual look: a nice pair of black slacks dresses it up!


NJdeB has made a nice, softly green Milk Maiden. Paired with black, well tailored slacks, I think it looks lovely and quietly romantic and graceful.


wickedstitches modified her Milk Maiden to have slightly wider front side panels and a similar leaf pattern to the original. I love the blue!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I think it's fair to say that Milk Maiden makes everyone look totally hot. :) Such an awesome design!