Friday, June 29, 2012

Indie Designer Revisited

PhotobucketDesigner: Betsy Farquhar
Etsy: good egg
Rav ID: elf518
Some Great Designs: elf518's Rav Designer Page
Original Indie Designer Post: October 9, 2009

I'm excited to profile this designer again.

There's something about her aesthetic that really twangs my fashion strings. Why that sensibility is stringed, and why twanged I'm not sure, but inspiration abounds for me when I look at her bold, sculptural, colourful pieces.

The pictured design is her Funnel Cloud Shrug, from her fantastic ebook All The Marbles. Just take a peek at that shape. That's a shape I've never seen before. It's beautiful, organic and just as functional. What is this garment? I think it's a statement-making idea that solves a few issues otherwise presented by cowls or shrugs by combining the two into an amazing, wear-it-all-day piece.

I have to stop myself there. I could really go on about that one pattern!

Another aspect of her design skill is working with colour.
See her Skeleton Key Mittens and the adorable Kitsune Mittens. Strong lines, fantastically contrasting colours, and (once again) a fashionable, statement-making and yet perfectly functional piece of knitwear.
Triumph! Triumph, I declare!

Along with self-publishing, she's also had a pattern printed in the lovely book, House of White Birches. Her piece, Chunky Drop Stitch Cable Warmer, uses texture in the same way that she does bold lines and colour.

I'm also pretty dern excited by a hint she's given me about a future design project.
Recently finishing up some school, I'll have to hope this will allow her time to complete the
teaser project she mentioned to me in our emails:

" I’ve just started a massive celebratory project! (a design based on mexican pipel picado)"

Really can't wait to see that!
Thanks for the designs and the inspiration.

1 comment:

flossieKNITS said...

I lovelovelove that shrug/cowl! Thanks for posting!