Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Stash Diving; Or, What's Lurking in the Deep Dark Depths

...so begins the tale of the Stash Diving Adventures of one Canary Sanctuary - when forced by economic forces unseen into digging for fibrey gold in her own backyard...

My yarn lives in various places.
The largest of these is the hope chest.
In the dark recesses of the hope chest lies fibres unknown and knits undiscovered.
These unknowns and undiscovereds hover in the yarn netherworld of lives unlived: they question their existence. They ponder their fate.

Until one day, when they are plucked from obscurity and pulled triumphantly to the light of the incandescent bulbs which shine out upon them from the great ceiling fan!

Oh yes, there is a purpose! They shout.

And then I knit with them.
_______________________________________

I'll introduce you to my first re-discovery:Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool

Two skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in a lurvely purple (methinks it's the colour "Lava"), purchased just about a year ago (if my foggy haze of a brain serves me correctly).
Weight and Yardage: DK, 175 metres/skein, total: 350 metres

With this in mind, what would you knit? I'm thinking a short and very mini cardi, to add to my quickly-growing-and-soon-to-be-overflowing number of short cardis.

Or, a fantabulous cowl?

Perhaps a kicky beret?

7 comments:

Meghan said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to reduce the stash. And thanks for your vote for my front runner. I just bought the yarn for that one, so hopefully it works out!

Ellen said...

I love stash diving!
The yarn is really beautiful, I think a cardi would be cute, and you could use a lace pattern to stretch the yardage a bit too. :)

Team Knit said...

oh my god- I have the exact same yarn, in the same colour (it's the deep purple, right?) and in the same quanitity- two full skeins (leftover from my opulent raglan). I'm been wondering if I could squeeze a whipser cardigan out them, but I doubt it. I'm VERY intrigued to see what you do with yours, because I've been trying to figure out what to do with this awesome yarn!!

- Julie

Kai said...

A cowl!! :)

I love stash-diving... makes me fall in love with my stash all over again. :)

Hilary said...

That is some niiiiice yarn to be finding in the depths of your stash! I love the idea of a Silky Wool beret...of course a cropped cardi is always nice.

Hannah said...

I also have a few leftover skeins of Silky Wool and have been wracking my brain for what to do with such a lovely yarn. I was thinking a shrug of some kind, or maybe fingerless mittens/arm warmers. Let us know what you decide to do!

Brenda said...

I hope you get lots of answers to that question because I have two skeins of the same yarn in olive green that have me stumped.