Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Capsule Wardrobe

In my recent podcast episode 14 (part one and part two) I spoke about the Coletterie's blog series Wardrobe Architect. I've been thinking about it for quite a few months now.

Episode 14 saw me focus on a capsule wardrobe, something I hadn't ever encountered before.

Like many needleworkers of many ilks, I have a backlog of patterns and materials, all purchased with excitement and the best of intentions. I bought these things because I liked them, because I really wanted to do something with them. And the idea of planning a capsule wardrobe just might be the motivation I need.

What is a capsule wardrobe?
A small subset of your wardrobe, something you can plan seasonally.

How do you plan a capsule wardrobe?
1) Choose 1-6 silhouettes for the season.
2) Create a colour palette.
3) Break down your silhouettes and colours into a list of pieces.
4) Organize what to make, what to buy, and what you already own.

All this is taken from the Coletterie's fantastic blog, where you can find details, advice, and fun worksheets (yes, fun!) that will help you along the way to planning your own capsule wardrobe.

I'm planning my capsule wardrobe for Spring/Summer 2015.

Timeline
Planning begins now and lasts until the end of January.
February onward is the making!

Want to Join me?
Visit the Canary Knits Ravelry group! I think this would be a great way to motivate each other and share our ideas and wardrobe making triumphs! Sew! Knit! Crochet! Whatever works for you!
Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

Ecochic said...

The Coletterie is a fantastic resource! I love their how-to's for different fabrics, finishes and embellishments in sewing. Now I just need to use them!

Holly said...

I can't wait to see your capsule wardrobe! I'm making & wearing an entirely handmade wardrobe for a year, and am loving it.

Coletterie has some really amazing resources - looking forward to listening to this episode.

Elena Knits said...

I've read Coletterie's posts about it when it came out and it's a fantastic idea. Pity that I'm a bit disorganized and I sew on a whim, but I'm getting better at sewing my style.