Friday, June 20, 2008

Alauda; or, Elaborate Names and the Year of the Stash

I'll have to fess up and say that a rather disproportionate amount of joy for me comes from naming knits for designing.
This is a case in point.

Photobucket
Pattern: Alauda
Yarn: oh, a few scraps. Methinks it was
1) Brown Louisa Harding "Grace"
2) Orange Manos Silk Blend
3) a couple different yellow/golden shades of Handmaiden's "Silk Maiden"
4) white Elsebeth Lavold "ClassicAL"

Why I made it:
My hands were unbelievably cold at work.
Why it's got such a highfalutin name?
I love the naming. I love the organizing and labelling and making odd and rather twitsy-turny connections. In this instance, I knew I wanted to use some pretty stash scraps, hence the idea of a "legion", expand that to a particular legion (one of Caesar's Gaulish legions, see here)
and to top it all off, this particular Alauda word morphed into the modern French word Alouette, which is denotative of a small bird.
Photobucket

Gratuitous Butters photo:
Photobucket

If you want to make a pair:
step 1 - get scrap (all same gauge)
step 2 - measure around knuckles to get # of sts cast on (1” neg ease)
step 3 - cast on and knit knit knit in a rectangle til the piece measures to your wrist (if you want to add the YO row, just work one YO, k2tog across the fourth row).
step 4 - cast off and stitch together edge, leaving thumb holes!

Photobucket

This post has been brought to you by procrastiknitting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cuuuuute! (gloves and birdies. hello, birdies!)

soknitpicky said...

Cool project and name. I like the color gradations

Kai said...

Cool! These are way, way cool! :)

Hilary said...

Awww, Butters. :)

The mitts are great and so is their name! I love your fancy names for designs -- especially the ones with Classical references!

Carol said...

My hubby gets a real kick out of naming his on-line gaming characters. If the name isn't right, he doesn't have fun with the character.....So I get what you mean. Very cute wristbone warmers! Air conditioning should not be turned on that strong in the summer. It is one of my pet peeves....

Unraveling Sophia said...

I love Butters photos!! He seems to really appreciate your pretty designs, too...

Anonymous said...

Biggest name for the littlest knit. Just your style. geek.

Lurves you ;-)

BTW, my word verification was:
yvhuoxvkithe

Fitting, the longest word verifacation for the shortest comment.

nillakitty said...

Oh I LOVE Butters! And fancy-pants names...