Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tangled Yoke: A Tragedy in Yarn

Finally, having found a more-than-appropriate end, I can blog about the Tangled Yoke Cardigan.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pattern: Tangled Yoke Cardigan, Interweave Knits, Fall 2007
Yarn: Jamieson's DK in Port Wine
Oh lord, things that I'd change:
But what?
I'm not exactly sure where I've gone wrong here. My gauge was actually smaller than called for in the pattern, yet I knit a tent. A tent with a phantom-hump in the back.
The cable is beautiful - it turned out lovely. And I think my new favourite rib is garter! But this knit turned out absolutely terribly (and I'm not taking the blame this time. I maintain that sizing in the pattern is the issue. What else could it possibly be?)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For shame! Criticize a pattern? Yes, I do feel bad for saying it, but this is truly a no-fault-of-my-own issue.

Mods: As you can see, I've shortened the sleeve length, and to reduced the effect of the phantom hump, I threaded some chocolate-brown ribbon through the back.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wore this one day to work (because I refuse to let go) and everyone said how great it was. But really, I knew how frumpy it made me look.

And so,

I had my mom try it on, and with a few adjustments, it fits! She says she'll wear it (I hope so!), and I'm sure I could not find a more appreciative recipient. (Can you believe my boyfriend suggested I give it away to Salvation Army? I'd rather rip the whole thing out than do that!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Carol said...

Give it to the salvation army? Is he crazy? glad your mom coulduse it. That must be soooo frustrating!

TinaIsNoAcronym said...

It always makes me sad to see obviously hand-made things at thrift stores. I always wonder how it got there. I would never willingly allow anything I made to end up there! He's nuts! It also makes me sad when sweaters don't turn out right. Glad there was a solution! I really like that color, btw. Love deep purples!

Knit - R - Done said...

It's not my favorite thing you've made. The cable looks perfect, but it's not exactly "shaped." I'm not a fan of Eunny Jang. Her patterns make me want to give myself a labotomy with my own knitting needles.

If it makes you feel better, I give my mother stuff all of the time. She doesn't know I didn't intentionally knit it for her.

Unraveling Sophia said...

That's such a lot of work to have it end up 'not quite right'. You're totally right that the shaping of the pattern is off. It would be so much more flattering if there had been some form-fitting in the neckline and body! Did they photograph it for the mag all clipped in the back so it looked good on the model???
They colour is great for you though....

Teresa said...

Thanks so much to everyone for your words of encouragement!

I do suspect they clipped it in the back for the magazine photos - sneaky tricky tricksters!

Though, it's like Maggie Righetti warned: make sure you examine the way the knit is photographed! They can hide multitudes of sins by having the model twist this way or that.

I hope to be back to my regularly scheduled knits-that-fit knitting quite soon.

DonnaC said...

Oh no, I've got this on the needles right now! I'll watch out for the hump. I also checked the sleeves on dd's circle jacket after reading your post about the fitting on your circle cardi, and sure enough, the armholes needed to be moved. I never would have checked it if I didn't read about your problem. But I caught it in time and I am moving them closer together.

Teresa said...

I'm so glad I've been of help! I must say, though, that I think I'm the only sufferer of the mysterious hump in the Tangled Yoke.

Team Knit said...

Oh, that's an awful feeling- all that time, energy, effort and YARN, and it's just not what you needed it to be. Sorry about your cardi!
- Julie