Thursday, July 13, 2006

Book Review: "The Happy Hooker"

Book Review: "Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker" by Debbie Stoller

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0761139850/702-6282090-6084833?v=glance&n=916520&s=gateway&v=glance

Perhaps I love this book because I learned to take my first baby steps into knitting from the
Stitch n' Bitch series. I find the teaching method to be clear and concise (if you look past the silly wording - I suppose it's trying to be 'hip') and the illustrations very helpful. The projects are also very well suited to learning: there are your basics (like the "One Skein Scarf" - my first forray into crochet) your not-so-basics (like the "Sweet Pea Shawl" - my second project from the book) and the stunningly beautiful yet slightly challenging projects (like my very recently completed "Prepster" jacket). I really love how eachc pattern includes the yarn weight - that makes for very easy substitutions (the only time I've ever knit something with the suggested yarn was the "One Skein Scarf", got to love that Paton's Classic Wool!)
All in all, a great book from which to learn crochet - can't wait for the next one, Ms. Stoller!

No comments: