Monday, February 09, 2009

Elements and Principles of Art: Line

A continuation in the discussion of Elements and Principles of Art in knitting...

Art Element Definition: A line may be defined as the visual path left by a moving point.

Line is a pretty easy concept to transfer from the visual art lexicon to the knitwear one. You often may hear people talk about the "line" of a garment (usually followed by a mention of the shape - that's a post to come later!)
Photobucket
For knitting, line can appear as an element in a variety of ways. Colourwork is an obvious example. Stripes, especially those converging to a centre-point, can be very flattering, as can the adept use of lovely fair isle in a yoked sweater. The image right is the Sugarplum Pullover from Handknit Holidays.

This element is also quite powerful when used in texture. With something like ribbing (straight lines) or cables (lovely curved lines!) as well as a well-placed yarn-over (as seen in this lovely lace sweater by iSeL) you can create a knit that's certain to direct attention to your favourite features.
line sweater - on blogWhile I prefer to focus on the positive, it's hard to ignore the prejudices against horizontal stripes in a discussion on line. These prejudices are fairly well known - but I personally haven't discounted them from sweater design. It's like those great "tough love" fashion experts Stacy London and Clinton Kelly espouse, the pattern (size) should match the person (size). Though I would love to don me a thick-striped sweater, I believe my frame would not support it!
Shalom Cardi - on blog
Since we're all wonderfully different shapes, being unique human beings and all, one can't exactly come up with universal truths when it comes to flattering clothing. If I were going to put my vote in for anything, I'd say lines that direct attention and focus to your face would be the universal-flattering factor. Right, you'll see a lovely example of lines directing attention to one's face - and this includes the curved lines of the yoke as well as the straight lines of the rib! (the Shalom Cardi, by meguerite.)

A simple suggestion to consider a garment's elements (in particular, its lines) and what they're (quite literally) pointing to, will let you know if it's worth knitting for yourself, or if perhaps its a pass.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

This is a great blog series! I'll definitely keep the garment lines in mind when I put sweater patterns into my queue. :)

Hilary said...

Definitely some food for thought. After reading your post I don't think I've been keeping line in mind enough when choosing knits. Note to self...

Charity said...

Very interesting post - I look forward to your thoughts on shape. :o)

Kai said...

Fascinating!! This is definitely giving me food for thought.

A Homely Heroine said...

It's curiously satisfying reading these posts, I hope there are more to come. As it happens I was planning a striped sweater, but couldn't work out how thick the stripes should be (horizontal). I think I might opt for a raglan sweater instead now, because the lines point to the face - this is offically the most helpful blog post I've read in months!