Friday, January 02, 2009

Cotton Reconciliation

I swore that I'd have nothing to to with the fibre - seems I may have railed too soon.
Photobucket
Pattern: Arisaig
Yarn: several (can't recall how many!) balls of Rowan 4-ply cotton

I did mod this pattern as is my habit. It's about 6" longer than called for in the pattern - all this is in the lower ribbing section. And of course I shortened the sleeves as well.
I'd been working away on this one for months - after I'd sewn in the sleeves I had been very displeased with my work, and thrown it aside, disdaining the work of knitting the ties required to finish it off. With all the extra time on my hands this holiday I luckily fell into an Arisaig-knitting-mood, finished it off, and am actually rather happy with it, despite my earlier misgivings. And, for any interested in knitting this - I'm not sure why, but good god the long tie turned out mondo long. Almost hilariously so. I can wrap it around my ribcage and still have some to tie the tie with. *Le sigh*
Photobucket
Photos were taken in a local bakery, after a lovely New Years Eve bagel eating and delicious coffee slurping. As you can see (particularly on the back) I made me a number of boo boos in the lace. I can live with it - humans are imperfect, why should my knits not be etc... etc... and any other array of excuses for laziness and a refusal to frog.
Photobucket
An important note re: fit.
I knit this one in the XS size - this being rather smaller than my actual size.
I just have this terrible thing against loose clothing and especially loose knits. As you can see it doesn't really wrap across my chest fully (which is what I wanted) nor does the wrap part beneath fit snug to the other side. I know you're supposed to have buttons or some other fastening method to hold it together, and I have as of yet to decide whether I should just seam it together or not. I sort of like the look of it unsewn. What thinks you?

Happy New Year all!

24 comments:

Eileen said...

That looks so cute! I'm happy that you finally finished it.
I think you should keep it the way it is.

Meghan said...

I love it! Your propensity for short-sleeving knits always makes for cute sweaters. I'd follow suit if not for all of the freezing museum labs in this world. I'd love to know your secret--perhaps you're a layering master?

Anonymous said...

I think it looks lovely as it is - and I can't see any mistakes either.

Rose said...

It's really cute the way it is--leave it! I love the fit,a and was thinking how the one wrap sweater I've ever made fit horribly, and admiring how well yours did. i think if I ever try one again I will go down about 2 sizes because i much prefer a snug fit on those.

I just rediscovered your blog after a long time...I remember stumbling upon it months ago, and liking it, but I never bookmarked it and forgot about it. I'm happy to have stumbled on it again!

Nettie said...

I like it the way that it is now! It's very cute on, I love how your knits fit close on you.

Team Knit said...

it's orgeous, and I have to say, SO flattering on you!! the colour, the fit- looks stunning.

- Julie

Charity said...

I think it looks great the way it is! Very nicely done! :o)

Cloudberry said...

It looks great on you!

Clumsy Knitter said...

I think it looks great--nice FOs always make me rethink cotton too, but I have sworn off it for good (or for now...). It looks cute without any buttons or anything--it doesn't look like anything's missing. :)

Anonymous said...

The way you modified it and made a size that would fit close to your body puts this sweater into my "want to make it" category, whereas before it was in my "really pretty, but I would look like a schlump in it" category. It looks fantastic on you! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks so nice as is. I also like the longer length.

Ellen said...

I really like this sweater with the mods, it looks really nice. How many inches total of neg ease did you end up with?

By the way, I love your photos!:)

Poethead said...

This is really cute, and it looks great on you! Thanks for sharing.

DonnaC said...

Beautiful! My version has not been started yet but awaits me in a ziploc. It was supposed to be New Year's Eve knitwear...

Susan said...

Me "likey". I really like cotton knits - of course I live in San Diego. I think that since it is cotton, it might stretch a bit and fit more like you want. I agree with keeping it as it is now.

Sel and Poivre said...

I think this is my favourite of all the FO's I've seen you post!

patricia said...

Happy new year! Not my style, but you look great in it.

Unraveling Sophia said...

That's really gorgeous - love the colour! And I'm mightily intrigued by the menu on the board behind you! Wish I was there having a cup of Chai Tea!!

Hilary said...

I love it as is! It looks wonderful on you -- your mods turned out great. What about instead of seaming, you just did one button or snap where the underneath part would fasten to the side? I did a whole line of clasps along the hidden edge, but I usually just fasten the top one. I find that it holds everything in place just fine. It really does look very pretty as it is, though!

Gosh darnit, now I want another Arisaig, but with short sleeves and longer length.

Anonymous said...

Yet another amazing creation from canary knits. I'm sorry, but there are no imperfections to my eyes! I wish I could knit as quickly and as beautifully as you! --L

Anonymous said...

Unbelievably cute! It looks wonderful on you! I wish I were a skilled enough knitter to make something like that.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love the color and the short-sleeves!

Yuli said...

I love the colour. Really suits you ^_^

Misty said...

So I realize this post is several months old now, but wanted to leave a comment anyway! I saw this wrap sweater while digging through knitty back issues looking for patterns, and I didn't really like it. That is, until I saw your version which is much more flattering. I seem to like all your creations, and I'm glad to have stumbled upon your blog after rediscovering my ravelry account.