Friday, January 30, 2009

Indie Designer Day

Photobucket
Designer: Frida
Blog: The Things I Love to Do
Rav ID: Frida
Some Great Designs: Frida's Rav Projects Page

I'm in the mood for fair isle, and these lovely sweaters by Frida have put me there.

I've only pictured one here, but you can also check out her work with a cardigan she knit for her sister,
a very cool sweater with fold-over neck and buttoned sleeves,
a pair of sweet vests for little girls,
a pullover with a star motif, and
a neutrally-coloured all-over pattern vest.
I love the simplicity of the vests' construction, the clarity of the fair isle motifs, the colour combinations and above all, I think I love them because I can feel how fun they would be to knit. How comfortable they would be to wear. And how creative one could get with patterning and additional design elements to add particular twists or flair if desired.
I've always (as long as I've been a knitter, because apparently there was no "me" or time before this) admired fair isle yoked tops. My downfall is that many of them appear to be garments I couldn't wear (as in, I'd look stifled and very stumpy and hobbit-esque in them). Frida's creations appear to be different, and they've been knits occupying a space in my ever-expanding "to knit" list since I came across them months ago. It may be the winter settling in to me, but I think the next yarn shop I step into will be able to off-load some worsted-weight in a couple of lovely colours!

4 comments:

Team Knit said...

I just went and checked out her projects page- she has so many great ideas! Her take on the hourglass sweater is so awesome.

- Julie

Hilary said...

Mmm...fair isle round yoke...loove...

Loulek said...

I've just discovered your Blog and wow! Your knits are really beautiful!
You are talentuous. Where did you learn to do your own patterns?

I'd like to try but I don't know how.
I want to ask you something : do you think I could learn with a book?

Thanks for your advice and Congratulations for all your works.

Ilix said...

Thanks so much for sharing this designer. Love her work!
Now those are lovely!