Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pumpkin CPR: Dead or Alive

Garden update:

Curiously, there's a grand total of nine (9!) butternut squash on the vine. And, you know, still alive.

The pumpkins, on the other hand...

Photobucket

Not sure what's going down, but I have two (2, sadface).

Photobucket

It's been suggested that they're too crowded, and I suspect that might be the culprit.

The reaching-tentacles of the pumpkin have encroached all the way down the alley next to the house. As of this morning, that arm of this squash-expedition is still dead-leaf-free.

Photobucket


There are flourishing parts o' the garden, and I hopes they yield wonderfulness for me to share.
At the mo, there's just the morning glory.
Seeing it's prettiness always makes my day.

Photobucket

4 comments:

kingshearte said...

Considering the size of even small pumpkins, two seems like a perfect number to me. What on earth, if I may ask, did you intend to do with a full crop's worth?

Teresa said...

This is a good question! I enjoy a good pumpkin pie, but there's a myriad of options if you simply bake/cook and then freeze the pumpkin meat. I'm also keen on their use as Halloween decor. I've seen a bunch of really cool things people do with them, from the traditional jack-o-lantern to a wine bucket.
But, looks like I won't have to worry about that with the pumpkins. The butternut squash, on the other hand...

Meredith MC said...

i hate powdery mildew! It always takes my zuccini too early- even now they're starting to show signs. ughh

Unknown said...

You may have vine borers - if the stems look like some bug got in there and ate it up, then that's what killed them! I lost a lot of my squash to them. In the early stages, you can cut the tube they create open and pull them out.