Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Capsule Wardrobe: The Fabric and Patterns


I've been planning my capsule wardrobe for Spring/Summer 2015.

  • I started by going through both my favourites/queued on Ravelry, and my extensive sewing pattern collection and fabric stash.
  • I made a list that was much more sewing heavy than knitting, which I suppose makes sense, Spring/Summer not being the heartland of knitwear wearing!
  • I drew out the silhouettes of the dresses, skirts, and shirts that I was thinking of sewing, making sure there was a bit of variety in shape and style.

  • I was then realistic about what I really wanted to get to: I did have shorts and rompers on my list, but with the number of dresses I was eyeing up I thought it best to get through them before I tried to tackle those other garments.
  • Selecting the fabrics to go with the patterns was a great bit of fun: I've invested heavily in cute cotton prints, which should keep me covered for the adorable bespoke dress for quite some time.
  • The colour palette was, in essence, already selected for me. I did have some leeway in making sure everything wasn't just blue! But one of my motivations for this wardrobe is to use the materials I have, and so my hands were somewhat tied in the colour-palette regard.
  • I also tried to make sure I had a mix of patterns I had worked with before, and ones that were new to me. I get excited about new patterns, but they're of course untested, and so having some old-reliables on hand is a nice fall back in case the newbies are frustrating.

Are YOU interested in creating a capsule wardrobe for yourself?
Join the capsule wardrobe fun on the Canary Knits Ravelry group.

1 comment:

Elena Knits said...

I'm a bit of a disaster when it comes to planning, and last summer was not very productive, but I'm going to join to get inspired :)