Monday, February 23, 2015

Capsule Wardrobe: Garment 3

The third finished garment in my capsule wardrobe challenge for this spring/summer!

Pattern Description:
See & Sew Butterick 3197
Circa 1970s; Misses' Dress; Belt: Semi-fitted dress in below mid-knee length, has pointed collar, front inset with neckline slit, armhole bands and pockets in side seams, With self tie belt and topstitch trim.

Fabric Used:
100% cotton

Notions:
side zipper

Size Sewn:
12

Modification Advice/Errors in Pattern:
While this is a fanTASTIC dress, I could only find one other person on the interwebs who's made this up. So, no mod advice or errors suggested. 

Alterations Done:
As per my first version of this dress, I made the collar curved rather than pointed.
I also added a side zipper, because I think it would've been impossible to get on otherwise.
I made the belt a bit longer than the pattern calls for.
I didn't add interfacing to the collar/front panel.
Realized halfway through sewing up the front that the fabric was fairly transparent, and so had to hastily cut out some lining (used the same fabric as from my second Capsule Wardrobe garment).
Used French seams everywhere I could.

Would I Sew Again?:
Yes! I had already sewn this once before, and it's one of my favourite dresses.
My Favourite Things About it:
Pockets, fits well, love the wide belt.

My Least Favourite Things About it:
Can't think of a thing!

3 comments:

Meredith M said...

What a cute dress! You make me want to break out my sewing machine and give it a go. Is the pattern easy to find? Do you have any advice for a sometime, straight line sewer wanting to tackle a project like this?

Elena Knits said...

What a beautiful dress you've made!

Teresa said...

Thanks Meredith and Elena!
Meredith: the pattern is, rather unfortunately, a vintage one from the later 70s (??) that I've even had difficulty finding online. If you would like to search, the pattern name and number are "See & Sew 3197" by Butterick.

And, advice for a sometimes sewer? Well, I'm still not really confident in my sewing skills, but I started with costumes and things that "didn't really matter" if I messed them up.

I'm still learning all sorts of things about my sewing machine. Hence all the funky hemlines I've been stitching lately!