Thursday, February 12, 2015

Capsule Wardrobe: Garment 1

I thought I'd kick off my capsule wardrobe for this spring/summer with a pattern I'm familiar with.
I've made this skirt in the past, so I was aware of the techniques used, the fit, and the level of difficulty.

Pattern Description:
Cynthia Rowley Skirt Simplicity 2512

Fabric Used:
100% cotton

Notions:
zipper, interfacing

Size:
10, view B

Modification Advice/Errors in Pattern:
I didn't bother to look up any advice/mods because I've sewn this skirt twice before.

Alterations Done:
I'm lazy: I didn't make proper bias binding tape. I'm sure it makes a difference, but my priority was using fabric I already owned, and so didn't really have extra to spare for proper tape.
Also, didn't use interfacing for tie ends.

Would I Sew Again?:
Absolutely! But next time, I'd cut out the size 12 waist band, to give more room to play and possibly finish with French seams.

My Favourite Things About it:
It's pretty fast, got pockets, gives a nice fit.

My Least Favourite Things About it:
It can be fiddly: placing the ruffles around the skirt evenly is tricky, and if you get it wrong then it looks like you have lumpy parts around your waist/bum.

2 comments:

Jean said...

oo Love the print and love how you stitched the waistband :)

Elena Knits said...

I love this horses skirt! Nice for spring!