Friday, March 19, 2010

Indie Designer Day


Designer: Wendy Poush
Blog: running jack knits
Rav ID: maerchen
Some Great Designs: maerchen's Rav Designer Page

Here's a designer with ambition and discipline!
Admirably, mearchen has decided that she'll be writing one design a week for 2010!!
Here's a link to the Pattern-a-Week index.
The idea fascinates me.

But that incredible journey isn't what first drew me to her work.
The pictured Firstfall Convertible Mitts were it. I thought this was a totally ingenious idea. The designer states it best:

"The need for flip-tops secured with a button or Velcro is done away with by using flaps which are joined to the hand and thumb on three sides. The cable panel is reversible, so the cable looks lovely whether worn as a mitt or a mitten."

So very cool.

Another example of this species of mitt can be seen in her Cradle Convertible Mitts.

And, an adorably miniature version here, in the Basic Baby Mitts.

As you probably all know by now, I love a knit with a story, and maerchen's Dumber than Snake Mittens have a great one.

Lest you think all this designer creates are mitts, witness the sweet Bouncy Dress here. It was designed to show off self-patterning yarn, and creates a very beautiful, interesting and unique looking baby dress.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am seriously impressed by the reversible cables on those mitts!! wow, such an a amazing design.

Hilary said...

What an extremely clever way to do a convertible mitten. And I'm impressed that she's doing a design a week! My goal is a design a month, and I don't think there's any way I'll be able to do it!