Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Tale of the Crafty Crow - Part the Second

Lace Plotting, and wrapping my brain around it:

When I decided that the crow silhouette was the image I wanted to lace-i-fy, out came my much-used book of knitter's graph paper. I am very attached to this wee book. My Stitch n' Bitch Design Journal is one of the best crafting book purchases I've made. I've used it so often, it's about full, and time to buy me a new one.Photobucket
There's most probably a better way of creating a lace design, but like my favourite show inspires, I like to "make stuff up" (see picture of one of the Mythbusters, right. I dig the shirt!)

So with a little trepidation, I jumped forward into my lace design experiment. With unfortunate results.

Here's what happened:
The YOs were placed on both the right and wrong side of the knitting. Problems arose when I realized that the decreases I made alongside the WS yarnovers rendered these very yarnovers moot. Not a hint of the lace-created-space showed up! Still on my to-do list is search out the reason why these decreases did absolutely no good for me.

Other than that, my experiment succeeded.

Well, sort of.

Unrelated to any sort of lace learnin', I had to frog the whole damn thing because I drastically underestimated the width, and now have to start anew with an additional three inches of cast on stitches.

What I have discovered, though, is that the lace will end up being a lot more subtle than I had originally anticipated. This may be good, and it may be bad.

All remains to be seen.

Stay tuned for the exciting third part in the Tale of the Crafty Crow - rectification of lace mistake makin!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I'll be very interested to hear how you ended up doing the lace -- lace design is a complete mystery to me!