Monday, April 14, 2014

Love Me Some Easy Sewing

This is the second Cynthia Rowley Skirt I've made. The first one was so simple and fun to wear that I couldn't resist a second.

I was motivated to finish it in time for my brother's bridal shower. Well, future sister-in-law's bridal shower, I suppose. A springtime shower calls for a happy springtime skirt, no?

Some stuff I'm learning about sewing:

1) I am not smarter than the directions in some cases. Probably most cases.
2) While sewing is much faster than knitting, you still need to be to be patient with boring and fiddly things like pressing and sewing tricky curves.
3) You should probably buy fabric for a project, and not the other way around.

I think point 3) might be a bit controversial; my entire yarn stash is based on "ooo pretty!" and not "well, I'd like to make the X sweater and it needs X amount of X type of yarn...."
This tendency has led me down a road of lotsa cotton quilting fabric, mostly in too-small amounts (and I never remember how many metres I bought!)

And to make matters worse/better, I've just gone on a fabric buying binge on etsy and got myself an embarrassingly large amount of cotton for future dream dresses and skirts. I'll show it off when it finally arrives in the mail (and I say finally because, even though I just bought it last weekend, now is never soon enough!)

I'm thinking of making up some more rompers, this dress, and these cute skirts.
Sewing season is upon us! Muwhahahaa!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

That skirt is soooo cute. Actually, I'm in love with the whole outfit and kinda want to come steal it. :) (But I won't.) Those shoes!!!

Mousewife said...

I agree! Those shoes... <3