Thursday, July 13, 2006

Helpful Yarn Stores

I wondered if they existed, until I worked with "Feather Your Nest" http://www.featheryournest.ca/

Here is the sad, sad yarn saga:
Over a year ago I fell in love with a yarn that I bought in Romni Wools in Toronto. It was a Fleece Artist, Kid Silk 2-Ply in oranges and yellows. Beautiful. I had no particular project in mind, but bought it anyway.

Just this winter, I decided I was going to make it into "Ene's Scarf" from Scarf Style, got about halfway through the pattern, and disaster! I ran out of the lovely yarn! The project was coming along so well too, and I was so looking forward to wearing it that winter.

Of course, this was certainly my fault - one of the rules is you HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH YARN TO FINISH A PROJECT - heartbreak ensues if you don't!

So, I began a desperate search for the stuff: I went to Fleece Artist, they said they weren't directly selling to customers anymore. Then I looked up all the stores that carry Fleece Artist in Ontario. Most didn't respond to my emails or didn't have the right yarn.

Then I encountered the great people at Feather Your Nest.

She totally sympathized with my plight, and mailed off (what I thought was the right coloured) yarn right away. I received it just 2 days after I emailed them!

But oh, the saga doesn't end there...

I opened the package only to find that I had chosen the wrong colourway! Feather Your Nest offered to return it, but I said I loved that colour anyway. Then, she offered to send a sample of my sought-after yarn to Fleece Artist themselves for colour matching. This is a pic of the WIP and incorrect yarn colour that I ordered:


Sweet! Progress, and a possible happy ending!

I mailed off the sample to Feather Your Nest in May... they sent it to Fleece Artist... I waited... Now it's been over a month and a half, and I decided to email Feather Your Nest back and see if they had heard anything yet. They emailed be back the next day and said that they had just phoned Fleece Artist - they're behind in their work, and so had only just gotten to my colourway. Feather Your Nest told me that I'll hear back about it by July 19th. Here's to hoping!

No comments: