Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Picking up the Bees

After going through a bit of a frogging phase, I've decided it's well-time to start diving into the UFOs and transform them into WIPs. Or alphabet soup.

As it stands, my bee sweater stands in a pile of not-being-worked-on-edness.

The problem I had before was that the actual bee fair-isle rows were too damn tight and definitely not cool. I'm not sure of the best way to fix that. Here's my options as I see them now:

1) increase up a significant degree and continue with the bees in fair isle (thus making the sweater longer than originally intended)
2) start working flat instead of in the round and create the bees via intarsia (thus creating the need for sewing of seams)
3) frog the whole damn thing and start from scratch (thus creating knit-heartbreak)

Clearly I'm not too keen on #3, but if needs must, then knits ribbit.
Knitpicks and Butters - on blog
In other yarnny happenings, I've received a happy package from Knit Picks, containing within a supply of Wool of the Andes Worsted for me to make myself the long-admired cheesy intarsia sweaters, sported by the fashionistas of the 70s. You know the ones I mean, with the BIG caribou/moose splayed across the front and back? I've searched fruitlessly online for a good photo, and was sure I saw a pattern for one but have as-of-yet to rediscover it.

I'm planning on putting in a couple of polar bears with pine trees for good measure. Wish me luck! (though it would be incredibly irresponsible of me to begin this knit while the Bees languish and the to-be-gifted knits lay accusitorily staring at me from their project bags).
But I think I'm entirely capable of that kind of irresponsibility.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist a quick search for moose patterns. This book apparently has a couple:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Knit-Socks-by-Regent-Vol-No-20-Moose-Sweater_W0QQitemZ380077015018QQcmdZViewItem

Looking forward to seeing the 80s revisited. -- spencer

Ellen said...

I'm excited to see the intarsia project, it sounds fun!

Poethead said...

I'm a big fan and practice frogging regularly! I love your little canary. So sweet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, polar bear and pine trees- (claps hands). I can't wait to see this!

Anonymous said...

I am very much looking forward to this finished project. My husband (a christmas enthusiast) was just asking me for something similar with a holiday theme. He'd wear it, too.