Friday, August 22, 2008

Indie Designer Day

Photobucket
Designer: Hilary
Blog: The Yarniad
Rav ID: theyarniad

What I love about The Yarniad:
After I first saw her perfect version of the Arisaig wrap-top on Rav many moons ago, I had to visit her site - I couldn't help but become a regular reader! Her blog always has interesting and well-written content. Key words that I think of when I see her knits and designs are inspirational and elegant.
A stunning example of this is the lovely Anthropologie-inspired knit she's currently working on for the Ravelympics. Check it out - so amazing!

Some great designs:
Trina: a classy bottom-up raglan with dramatic snaps (not buttons!). I love the design details, especially the steeking (of which I am still afraid) and the wonderfully clean diagrams accompanying the hemming explanation.
Neckwarmer Kercheif:
A perfect wee project for that bitty bit of yarn you've got leftover.
Safire:
Appealing on several different levels, this is an uber-inspirational knit. I must admit that the wonderful name is so fabulous that I wish I was science-smart enough to be familiar with such terms! (safire / sapphire? Brilliant!)
As for the design itself, I love its timelessness and (here's that word again) elegance of this 3/4 length sleeved cardi. I can see it being worn with a T and jeans, and equally lovely when dressed up with a skirt/dress. The deep neckline and ribbing are very flattering.

These aren't all of her original designs - I've decided to just whet your whistle.

Hooray for indie designers!

5 comments:

Kai said...

Fantastic! I love Safire and the Neckwarmer is on my list of must-makes! :)

Hilary said...

I popped on over here to finally comment on your gorgeous new Corona (I read the post on Wednesday during a meeting and had to hide it before anyone saw!) and -- whoa! -- there I was at the top of the page! I am truly honored and flattered that you would feature me here (and I'm totally blushing) and I thank you for all of your kind words! Now I've got to get my arse in gear and actually start writing up some patterns! Thank you thank you thank you again. :)

Aesderina said...

oh my!! thanks for blogging about her! she's awesome!! I'm so jealouse.. I need to stop blogging and surfing the web and knit.. lol

Susan said...

I recently found her blog and was also hooked. Her FOs are absolutely fabulous. She is an inspiration indeed!

Team Knit said...

I couldn't agree with you more- Hilary's blog is awesome, and her knits are so inspirational! I like this new designer profiling you're doing- good stuff!

- Julie