Friday, July 29, 2011

Indie Designer Revisited

PhotobucketDesigner: Stephanie Dosen
Blog: *tiny owl knits*
Website: Stephanie Dosen.com
Rav ID: tinyowlknits
Some Great Designs: tinyowlknits' Rav Design Page
Original Indie Designer Post: November 21, 2008

Almost three years ago I profiled the lovely and talented tinyowlknits. She's a fabulous knitwear designer as well as a musician and songwriter. Just check out her site here, and listen to her beautiful songs This Joy and Only Getting Better (some of my favourites!)

On to the designs :)

Here pictured is a perfect example of her fairy-tale-esque, whimsical and yet sweet and wearable style. Grimm's Cottage gives you fanciful fashion, unique little twists (just look at the cute use of ribbon!) and yet this is ultimately a simple shape and design. Pairing these two tendencies makes for knits that can complement many outfits and occasions.

(One of my favourite things about tinyowlknits' designs is how easily I can imagine myself wearing them on a beautiful walk through the woods.)

I'll also point you to a few more new (since I profiled her last!) designs:

Recently featured in Yarn Forward, catching butterflies mitts embrace the design tendencies of simplicity and whimsy to create a pretty little pair of mitts/armwarmers that integrate texture and colourwork to create a sweet design (with a little surprise in the palms!)

In one of the most eye-catching and simple designs, tinyowlknits utilizes a simple cowl with perfectly matched colours to create the warm and wearable ships & seasides.

I would certainly be amiss if I didn't point out the adorable sweet robin wrist-ees. That's right: robin, a nest and eggs. I love it!

I'm also in love with her woodland hoodlet. It's a very cool design shape, that creates a garment that's versatile and beautifully utilitarian. Incidentally, this might be the very best use of a tassel. The way the huge cables hug around the capelet part look so delightful and inviting.

There is so very much more of tinyowlknits' work to be seen. Please check out her designs on Rav. They never fail to make me smile (and take that fanciful walk down the green, wooded paths of my imagination).

2 comments:

kingshearte said...

OMG, those butterfly mitts are among the sweetest things I've ever seen. My mom definitely needs a pair. Although I think I'd have to make them full mittens, as the utility of fingerless mitts escapes my mother.

In any case, thank you so much for pointing these out!

stephanie dosen said...

oooh thank you so much lovely :)
im so touched by your sweet post!
big hugs and owlie love ♥
stephanie xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo