Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Alatus

Alatus: Winged

I must admit that Latin is not a strong point, but when I was thinking of what creative name I could come up with for this knit, I took the easy way out and simply described the item in another language. (sneaky creativity)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
From the front, and unassuming (if extremely low-cut) sweater.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
And from the back, my experiment with cable-mapping.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
And un-modeled.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
And, depicting the truer-to-life chocolate brown loveliness that is Louisa Harding's yarn.

Specs:

Pattern: Alatus (self designed exploration of cable mapping)
Yarn: Grace by Louisa Harding (6 skeins)
Things I'd change: As usual, there are several. First, I'd add some more space to the front-sides around the neckline. I'd also curve the neckline a bit more too. It came out more square than I had envisioned. I'd be more careful about shaping the sleeve cap (since I had to pull them both out several times to achieve a normal-appearing shape). The sleeve-holes would be about an inch longer too. It's not tight there, but there certainly could be more room. I'd also be more meticulous in my counting for the pattern. Unfortunately, up near the arm shaping, I ran out of room and had to sacrifice a feather or two.

What I love about it: mostly the yarn. It's like butter. Oh so wonderful, and the most perfect shade of chocolate brown I've ever seen in a yarn. Highly recommended.
Three-quarter sleeve rock the boat. You save yarn, it still keeps you warm, and yet you don't have to worry about the cuffs getting worn or crappy. It also saves time on the much-dreaded sleeve knitting.

This knit depends on another (as yet unfinished) knit for a large part of it's prettiness. I'll photo them together when/if I can get it completed before October 1. (mais oui, self-imposed deadlines once again).

I've been playing with the idea of posting the cable chart, but I think it's only discernible by me.

Come on cold weather! I can't wait to wear this puppy!

Edited to Add:
***Link to Pattern on Craftster***

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Alatus



CHARTS
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

37 comments:

Cyn said...

That is very cool.

I've seen sweaters with wings before and they don't usually do much for me, but I really like yours. The cabling is subtle and pretty.

Teresa said...

Thanks cyn. I'm glad it's subtle - that's what I was going for! I don't like when a garment has too many things going on in it. It should have one strong point, and the rest be "neutral".

Joan said...

that is just so cool. i'm not even into the whole wings thing, but i love the effect here. more than that, i love how you were able to chart cables so expertly on your first try! woah.

The Intern said...

this sweater is beautiful and classy as could be. amazing color and everything.

Anonymous said...

I *am* into the whole wings thing and have never seen cables like this before. I really really want to make this, so I hope you write a pattern! Thanks for posting!

--Rachel

Anonymous said...

My friend would love this! I would be so excited if you made a pattern that I use to make her one. This is so beautiful!

Rose Red said...

This is impossibly beautiful; I would pay for the pattern in a heartbeat. I agree with your philosophy of subtle style and you achieved it perfectly here. It's *wonderful*. I'm totally jealous of your cable-charting skills.

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE for you to post a chart! Please, please!

Kristy Knits said...

You should submit this pattern to Interweave Knits....It is absolutely breathtaking. Gorgeous!

Annie said...

How gorgeous! And amazing that you designed it yourself! I love the neckline as well, it's really flattering. (I got here through a link on craftster if you're wondering who the heck I am :))

Anonymous said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! I am more than willing to pay for the pattern... Please please please please please please......

Wenchfaery said...

I have to agree with the other people clamouring for a chart. I love *anything* with wings, and would DIE for a chart like this. It screams cardigan to me. :D+

Catherine said...

oh man. a chart would be so amazing. if you sell, i will buy.

Jill said...

Please Please Please post the chart! Even if it's a bit confusing, I wouldn't mind figuring it out because the result is amazing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kristy Knits. I think knitting magazines would be interested in this. It's unusual and very pretty. I say do it again...make notes...tidy up what your creative juices tell you to and submit it!

Carol said...

This is lovely! I don't think it is that low cut. Or perhaps I am very daring?

Anonymous said...

omg its gorgerous submit it to knitty

morgan said...

::oh my lord::

Savannah Dempsey said...

haha i got here from craftster too (you're sure to have more of us, now that you're on the "hot new projects". this sweater is wonderful! i love the unexpectedness of the wings in the back.

Sunflowerfairy said...

This is one of the most gorgeous sweaters I've ever seen. Congrats on making it!!

I'd love to see the cable charts, or even written out. I'd love to make this sweater.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! so creative! would love a chart too! Annie

Robin said...

That is really cool! Are you going to offer the pattern for sale? If so, I'll buy it.

OLGAJAZZY said...

Freaking Fantastic! It is gorgeous and very creative, congratulations!!! This really must be a published piece!!

ysolda said...

This is stunning. I love it.

ysolda said...

oh and I just made a hat with that yarn in that colour - it's beautiful

Katrina Halliwell said...

It's so beautiful! Like everyone else, I'd love to see a pattern. :)

Teresa said...

I've posted the pattern notes on craftster - there's a link to it on me blog under "Patterns By Me". I hope to have a scan of the chart up soon!

Jenni-Raie said...

i saw this on craftster and LOVED IT then. how much better to know it was made by a canadian!

Team Knit said...

What a great sweater!I really do hope that you post a patern, or instructions and the cable chart. I think a lot of us would be interested in making this. I know I would, for sure!

Uccellina said...

A friend has asked me to make this, but I don't feel competent to do it without the cable chart. Will that be up soon?

Teresa said...

I hope to be able to get near a scanner soon. I'm sure you could do much better on your own! I'll try my bestest to make it legible.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God. I love it. This is my tat: http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/710/aprilback1nn.jpg

I don't know how to knit but I so want a similar sweater!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue how I stumbled upon your website but I did.
I never even thought that knitting could be this sexy. This looks great.

Cali said...

I know you must hear this all the time but I would KILL for this sweater! lol

This is a work of art! I love how simple it is in the front and the beautiful wings! I will have to knit one for myself! (though I don't know if I have the skills for it yet...) I am so happy you made it available! Thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The heartsles Witch said...

That's really a very cute idea ! I'm not as good into knitting to make a shirt but your's is really great !

MissLN said...

Absolutly wonderfull, Ilove it, but I'm french and d'ont understand all you are saiyng !!! Bravo Kisses
I'would like a translation, but it is impossible, I'am sure.